Cradle of the Navy
History of NTC San Diego 1923-1997
Extremely rare and hard to find military memorabilia!
This book was written and published for the disestablishment of Naval Training Center (NTC) San Diego in 1997. It has now been more than 10 years since the anniversary of this event. Only 500 copies of this book were printed and were only available at the NTC San Diego Morale, Welfare and Recreation office during the day of the disestablishment. Only those attending the event had the opportunity to purchase this book.
136 glossy pages cover the history of NTC through each decade from around 1915 through 1997. The book looks at events in a chronological order, as well as the history behind the names of the camps and buildings at NTC. There are pictures of every center commander from the first, Rear Adm. David Sellers in 1923 through the last, Capt. Stephen Drake in 1997.
Hundreds of black and white and color photographs include pictures of USS Recruit, aerial photography, historical buildings, Service School Command, Recruit Training Command and famous people to visit NTC. There is a beautiful gold NTC logo embossed on the cover.
A must for any NTC alumnus or Naval history buff! This copy is signed by the author, who is a retired Navy Journalist Chief Petty Office and worked at NTC before and during the disestablishment.
|The Cover of |
"Cradle of the Navy, The History of Naval Training Center San Diego
by JOC(SW) Mary Camacho,
|USS Recruit (TDE-1) was a land-locked ship built in 1949. It was the first non-ship to be commissioned. Recruits observed traditional procedures like any other Naval vessel. It was decommissioned in 1967 and renovated in 1982. It is preserved as a historic landmark. |
|Rear Admiral David Foote Sellers was the first Commanding Officer (later called Center Commanders) from 1923 to 1926. He was born in 1874 and died in 1949. |
|Color photographs of recruit graduations. Upper right is the retirement of center commander Capt. John C. Ensch in 1995. |
|Balboa Park was the location of the 'first' San Diego Training Station in 1917. |
|1924 aerial photo depicts and early layout of Naval Training Center San Diego. The main gate at Lytton and Barnett Avenue is at the bottom of the photograph. Tent city, or (or Detention Camp) c |